12 VIPCA Marine Apprentice students will return to the dock on their final day of training onboard Stormy Pirates day charter powerboat at 3.30pm sharp. The students will then be awarded their certificates of completion for the 5 weeks intensive captain and marine technical service training. All students will be awarded a voucher for their STCW training worth $1,200 each.
VIPCA’s 501(c)(3) charity arm called the Marine Rebuild Fund (fiscally sponsored by Community Foundation Virgin Islands) raises funding annually with the aim of boosting VI employment opportunities in the marine industry by creating marine education training / development programs.
During thee annual five week intensive “Marine Apprenticeship” training is provided to young adults from St. Thomas, St. John and St. Croix including:
– 5 day sailing course at St Thomas Yacht Club
– 7-day sail and power-boat operation with passengers including seamanship, upkeep and customer service with Cruz Bay Watersports
– SCUBA diving
– First Aid and CPR (certification)
– Boating Safety (certification)
– Navigation, Rules of the Road and other theory
– Marina and dock management
– Charter Vessel Maintenance and
– Charter Business Operation
– Technical skill and proficiency on diesel engines, outboards, electrical systems, plumbing
– US Coast Guard – half-a-day at the MSD and onboard a coastguard vessel
– Five-day STCW Basic Training (Standards of Training and Certification of Watch-keeping) worth $1200 per student.
– A mentorship and scholarship program follows these apprentices to careers as captains and crew with VIPCA’s continued support of their careers being made successful in the Marine Industry.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- VI Insider Blog
- FOOD in the VI
- Everything St. Thomas
- Everything St. John
- Where to Workout in the Virgin Islands
- Business Directory
- Cart 0